Saturday 19 April 2014

Lake Garda


I’ve had another wonderful week playing tourist all over again! My mum and family friend Jill flew over to Milan to visit for five days and flew back this morning. It’s been two months since I saw my mum, which unsurprisingly makes for a teary reunion. I’ve managed, but I’ve really missed her. Not because she’s my mum and she cooks and cleans and all that other stuff… I’ve been living away at university so none of that stuff seems to matter anymore anyway. But having issues with the Wi-Fi in my flat has meant distant and unreliable communication, something we have never had to struggle with before. So this week was pretty special for me, particularly because I got to guide them through where has now become my beautiful home.

For the first couple of days we hiked through the city of Milan, stopping off regularly for some traditional Gin and Tonics (the tradition was set down by my mother, not the Italians) and catching up on my adventures so far. My mum claimed that she found Milan far prettier than Paris and that the architecture was astounding – something I haven’t stopped admiring since landing here back in March. However, admittedly Milan’s touristy areas can be ticked off the bucket list within 48 hours so we planned to visit two cities outside of Northern capital.

If there is any reason or need for an escape from the city its Lake Garda.

Imagine its 20 degrees and you are strolling down a winding cobbled path beneath towering seaside houses all coloured in shades of pastel and magnolia. There's a humid breeze and a foggy haze that make the distant lands look like a worn watercolour painting. You reach the docks where the yachts and motorboats are lined up ready to set sail, botanically framed by tall palm trees. Its fresh, the water is crystal blue and vivacious beneath what seems a surreal view of snow tipped mountains. It can be described as nothing less than absolute bliss.

We honestly didn’t do that much when we went to Lake Garda; it really was a matter of escapism from city walls. We attempted to move along the pavements but constantly stopped to gawp at the magnificent views and paddle our feet in the icy water, so in the end we just sat there. Pondering and talking, laughing, watching the birds – no phones, no laptops, no worries. I won’t hesitate to come back. 























SHARE:
© HALCYON. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig