Saturday 15 March 2014

MILAN


"Non Parlo Italiano" (I don't speak Italian) is about the only phrase I've managed to fluently grasp since being a resident to the country infamous for its renaissance architecture and exquisite food. I can however ask for orange juice in a cafe "il succo a'ranchay" so that's been the only beverage I've drank for the past two weeks. Ok little white lie; as the nation’s drink we have of course indulged in some local vino and at 1.50 a bottle it turns out it really is cheaper than water.

So is Milan as wonderful as I thought? Yes. All my typical expectations of Italy have so far been met, from having a dozen pizzerias on every street corner down to the chirpy pensioners in beautiful coats who waddle around shouting "Mamma Mia!" (I kid you not, this doesn't just happen in the movies). It really is a pretty place to be in, and a very inspiring and spirited city filled with vibrancy and historical glamour.

Because I am out here studying this week has been about finding our feet with our course modules and all the other necessary stuff a student has to organise - so the travelling and site seeing has been limited. However on our first week my three flatmates Millie, Rhys and Mirjam and I went to the Piazza Duomo where the insanely beautiful Duomo Cathedral and Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II are. Our flat owners (who speak no English whatsoever; it was a fun day of charades) kindly took us around the Piazza exploring the city centre for the day. My favourite moment was exiting the metro station via a staircase that as you ascend, the tips of the Cathedral spires emerge and cascade into the grandeur that is the city’s most iconic building - flooded with tourists and street sellers. The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele ll is one of the world’s oldest shopping malls and houses luxurious designer stores such as Louis Vuitton and Prada. With its opulent fashion, lavish dining scene and majestic architecture - the galleria is a landmark in its own right.

It appears to be a city of light stone streets, oversized shops and heavily populated by eager tourists. But I am edging off my chair with excitement to see what the next five months here bring me. Milano is now my fourth home and this adventure has been long overdue.
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II

Statue of Leonardo Da Vinci (My favourite historical icon)

Inside the Galleria 


 On top of the Duomo Cathedral
 I made friends with a local pigeon...

 Millie, Rhys, Mirjam and I in the Piazza Duomo





SHARE:
© HALCYON. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig