Thursday 12 June 2014

An interview with Annoni Donatella


Donatella Annoni has kindly been our adopted Italian Auntie. Friends of our Italian apartment owners Donatella speaks moderate English and so has helped us to bridge the communication gap between my flat mates and the landlord! I can’t begin to express how grateful we all were for not only having lovely owners who welcomed us several time into their own apartment, sharing cake (they baked me a traditional birthday cake!) and beverages, gifts and play time with their adorable dog Tipo, but for Donatella’s helpful input along the way!

Donatella is a very inspiring woman, and at the age of 64 has accomplished many cultural travels, languages and talents. Now retired she spends her time hand making jewellery and selling it to friends and family. As part of our User and Social Innovation course at the Politecnico University, Millie and I had to interview three creative people who fell into different occupational groups, Donatella being one of them:

1.       Describe your typical day
“I wake up around 9am and make my jewellery. After lunch I usually meet friends in the afternoon and continue making my jewellery in the evening. I go to sleep around 3am most nights!”

2.       Why do you make your jewellery?
“For fun. I enjoy making my jewellery but if people want to buy it then they can! I sell necklace between 10-15 euros and earrings and rings at 5 euros.”

3.       What is your creative process to making the jewellery?
“First I get an idea by looking in shop windows and seeing what jewellery is being sold – what is fashionable. Then I produce inspired ideas of my own with the parts I collect such as coffee caps and bits from old jewellery which I use to produce my designs.”

4.       What places inspire you in Milan?
Oh I love all of Milan, but particularly the Duomo square and Park Sempione

5.       What do you find illuminating about the city?
“The Fashion in Milan. The stores are beautiful with beautiful windows, like Dolce & Gabbana and Armani. I also love the museums such as the Leonardo Da Vinci exhibition. I prefer ancient history compared to modern art.”


The visual evidence for Donatella's creative output displays her imaginative use of upcycling materials that others would regard as rubbish. She puts so many hours into creating her jewellery and yet reaps no direct rewards for them other than admiration, which seems to fulfil her far more than earning money from it would. Donatella's eye for detail gives her work a cultural feel when she uses Milan's current product as inspiration for her designs. A vigorous and passionate woman, her hard work and desire to create keeps her occupied and her mind illuminated and linked to her city. She let me keep a pair of her blue fish hook earrings too!






SHARE:
© HALCYON. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig